- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g soft brown sugar
- 100g sultanas
- 200g beetroot, grated
- 150ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 1h 30 min
- Preheat oven to 160°C/Gas 3.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the soft brown sugar. Add the sultanas and grated beetroot.
- Beat the oil and eggs together and add to the bowl. Combine with either a wooden spoon or an electric mixer.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased and lined 20cm cake tin and bake in the oven for 1-1¼ hours, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip: You could use carrot instead of beetroot or use a mixture of both, or add 50g cocoa powder to make it a chocolate beetroot cake.